The City of Alpine, Texas is pleased to announce the 2012 Shooting Alpine Photo Contest. The contest entries are now available to view here.
Free and open to the public, this contest is an opportunity for our visitors from near or far as well as local community members to showcase their photographic talent.
Photographers are asked to capture the city of Alpine, Texas (and/or its surroundings) in a personal, reflective way to reveal the personality of the town through their eyes. The city itself has a rich history, a variety of architectural and natural landmarks and scenic views of all types and sizes. Through the photographer’s own lens and outlook, Alpine’s persona will bloom with high-quality, inspired and surprising imagery.
Entrants have the chance to win one of five cash prizes:
- The H.L. Kokernot, Jr. Memorial Award – $500
(named in honor of the creator of the remarkable Kokernot Field, home of the Alpine Cowboys baseball team)
- The Henry Charles Trost Memorial Award – $100
(named in honor of the principal designer for Trost & Trost, architects of the historic Holland Hotel and many other signature buildings throughout the region)
- The Twin Sisters Award – $50
- The Hancock Hill Award – $50
- The “A” Mountain Award – $50
Just for participating, all photographers will also be entered into a drawing for the following appreciation prizes:
- 2 nights at The Maverick Inn (themaverickinn.com), a $220 value – subject to availability
- 2 general admission passes to the 2013 Viva Big Bend music festival (vivabigbend.com), a $110 value
- A $50 gift certificate for Alpine’s celebrated Reata Restaurant (www.reata.net/alpine-texas-restaurant.html)
The contest will be judged by Marathon-based photographer James H. Evans (www.jameshevans.com).
James has been living in and photographing the Big Bend region since 1988. He has two books, Big Bend Pictures (2003) and Crazy From The Heat (2011). He has been a contributor to Texas Monthly for over 20 years, and his work is in many Texas museums and private collections. He has a photo essay in the September issue of Texas Monthly, and is working on his third book of photographs.
Judge’s statement: “I am honored to be the judge of this year’s photo contest. I would encourage contestants to look at my books and my website to learn what I am drawn to. I like to see good craftsmanship, but the strength of an image will override craft. Since the contest is based in Alpine, I would like to see images of Alpine life, public and personal. What makes it special to live there? Your favorite person, your family, a self portrait? What is unique to the town? Stay open minded and go with your gut.”
- Entries will be accepted through September 30, 2012 (The contest time period is when entries can be submitted. Photos can have been taken at any time). An online entry form and upload functionality will be available during the period of the contest. Winners will be announced before the end of November, 2012.
- The Shooting Alpine Photo Contest is free and open to everyone. Only judges and organizers of the contest are ineligible. Photographs are judged anonymously, and no entrants’ names are available to the judge at any time until after all awards are granted.
- Entry in the contest grants the City of Alpine license to use any entered photographs, with credit, for promotional purposes related to the City of Alpine.
- Photographs taken within the City of Alpine are preferred, but its surroundings are also eligible subject matter for submitted photos. “Surroundings” includes the valley and mountains around the city and the roads and ranches between Alpine and its neighboring towns. Photographs of subjects beyond this range will be disqualified.
- Submitted photographs must be the work of the entrant, and not previously entered in the Shooting Alpine Photo Contest. They may be in color or black & white. Photo collages, composites, or photographs with text overlays will not be considered.
- Entries should be in jpeg format. Recommended image size: 8 x 10” at 300ppi (2400 x 3000 pixels), or larger (NOTE: 8 x 10″ is not a required format; the images can be any shape). Minimum image size to enter: 8 x 10” at 72ppi (576 x 800 pixels). PLEASE NOTE: Photographs must be at least the recommended image size to be considered for the $100 or $500 prizes. Images below the recommended image size will be considered for recognition in the web gallery and for the $50 prizes.
- Participants are limited to five (5) entries only. If more than five photographs are submitted, the first five will be entered into the contest, and the others discarded.
- Contest photos in the online gallery are presented for fine art purposes. The City of Alpine may request model release forms if any photo with a recognizable likeness is considered to be used in promotional materials.
- If the judges determine that no submitted photograph is of sufficient quality to award one or more of the advertised prizes, those prizes will not be awarded.
- Any questions about the contest should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.